Here at Camp Bestival, we are passionate and committed to reducing our carbon footprint. We have been taking steps to reduce our environmental impact and we are constantly implementing new strategies to help make this happen. From supporting environmental charities; operating a no single-use plastic policy for all concessions; recycling; working with suppliers/traders to source food with the highest standards of animal welfare; working with all partners, sponsors and suppliers to shared sustainability goals; reusable cups; water points and more…
But it doesn’t stop there… we aim to:
- Reduce our scope of greenhouse gas emissions by 2030
- Power all our offices, venues & live events with 100% renewable energy by 2030
- Phase-out single-use plastic by 2021
- Reuse over single-use, renewable over finite resources; and at least 30% recycled content in unavoidable plastic
- Be zero-waste to landfill and achieve a 50% or high material recovery rate by 2030
- Make the best use of composting facilities
But now, more than ever, we need to be taking steps as individuals and families as well as businesses. So what can we do? If you are looking for tips and tricks to help you and your family reduce your plastic usage then our team have got some tips for you…
There are some simple swaps that we can make in our day-to-day lives so that we have cleaner streets, oceans and beautiful communities. Not only are these good for the environment but some will also save you money in the long run… win-win!
- Always have a reusable coffee cup handy.
- Find plastic-free alternatives when buying fruit & veggies
- Bulk buy your pasta, flour, nuts, rice, herbs etc from your nearest zero waste shop
- Bring your own reusable shopping bags
- Get crafty with your bin liners and go biodegradable. Try Polybags.
- Refuse plastic straws and have your own reusable one handy
- Buy a reusable water bottle. Try a pure copper bottle, also providing health benefits!
- Swap your plastic toothbrush for a bamboo one (you can even get these as monthly subscriptions so that’s one less trip to the shops for us). Check out: BRISTLE, Blue Rock & The Bam and Boo
- Swap your Clingfilm for beeswax wraps or eco-covers. Check out: The Beeswax Wrap Co
- Get yourself an ecoegg for your laundry, replacing your need to use laundry detergent and conditioner. There are so many positives to this product and yes, your clothes still come out clean! We love ours
- Use bars of soap instead of bottles (they also last longer!)
Avoiding plastic will reduce the impact on recycling systems; reduces unnecessary waste; saves plastic entering into our oceans and stop our animals eating plastic mistaken for food.
It is important to do your research, learn about single-use plastics and how to recycle properly.
To find out more, visit Plastic Free July.